Household Cleaning Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Household Cleaning Tips

Post  Karentia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:48 pm

And here is a new thread to share your house elf cleaning tips!

Have fun!

I use a spray bottle of white vinegar to get rid of pesky moss on the sidewalk.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Re: Household Cleaning Tips

Post  Maxecat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm

My fingers are sore from working on the garden tip site but I'll toss in a comment or two about vinegar.

No home should be without a gallon of the white stuff at all times and a quart of the apple cider as well.

We could do pages about vinegar alone as a disinfectant,cleaning product.

My new favorite way to clean off rust from my garden shears?
Soak them in white vinegar overnight. Couldn't believe how the rust just wiped off with a paper towel!

To clean charred food from a cast iron skillet boil a mixture of salt and vinegar in it and let it simmer for 10-20 minutes Rinse thoroughly,re-season with vegetable oil before storing.

Hot vinegar can be used to remove paint from glass. Microwave cup for 1-2 minutes,use cloth to wipe off paint.

Apply vinegar directly on chrome with a rag for a quick shine.

Haven't tried it myself, but in winter,if your car is left outside,mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and coat the windows with this solution. The vinegar and water combination will keep windshields ice and frost free. A rag soaked in vinegar is also a great way to get rid of lime build up on windshield wipers and other parts of car.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 pm

You can bet I am going to try the frost proofing one and if it works it will be the greatest thing ever!  I love the smell of cider vinegar and use it in loads of things!  Great idea Maxie these will be daily reads here on out! thanks!
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 pm

When I was younger swapping beauty tips or gossip was the thing...now it's gardening and cleaning tips.  Does this mean I'm officially  grown up now????Laughing

Looking forward to find out new things!
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Great oven cleaner: vinegar, dish soap, baking soda and borax. I sprinkle the baking soda/borax mixture in the oven and spritz with vinegar and dish soap, let it sit, then mix it into a paste and cover the inside of the oven, let it sit for an hour or two and wipe it out. Works great and no fumes.

Have I said how much I love baking soda and borax? Or salt too for that matter. Fleas/bugs hate borax. It dehydrates them and kills them. Sprinkle it on your carpets and work it in, let it sit for a couple of hours and vacuum. I also sprinkle around the inside of the perimeter of my house. When I do find bugs, they are dead. You can make a cake of borax with sugar and water and set it out for ants ( just keep away from pets) and the ants will carry it back to the nest and kill the colony.

Hard to reach areas in the bathroom? If you have boys you know how hard it is to clean around the toilet seat/bolts. I sprinkle with baking soda then spritz with vinegar and let it "boil" out the ick.

I've also heard that diatomaceous earth works well outside for bugs and it's edible, food grade kind. You just can't breathe it, have to wear a mask to apply it. I have some but haven't used it yet. I don't want to hurt the bees, so make sure it's not put on flowers.
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 am

Wow, if I had known this would have gotten such a quick response I would have started it a long time ago! Awesome, ladies! Almost makes me want to get up & clean something! Sleep & Relay first.

Oh, I saw a pin, on Pinterest, about using hydrogen peroxide to clean your bakeware of the golden brown color - will look it up & post the whole info here later - looked amazing!
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 am

Peroxide also is great at getting out blood stains! My sister is a nurse and passed on that wisdom to me. I think it's the same thing as oxyclean, but not sure.
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am

I'm not sure if the peroxide mentioned for blood cleaning is the 3 % you can get at the drug store or the 35% H2O2. That's pretty powerful and dangerous stuff.

We got some when a customer touted its healing properties when properly ingested. I got some at the health food store and read up on its uses. We became too frightened to actually drink it,no matter what the internet said was safe,but I have used it in laundry. Great for brightening white sheets without using harsh bleach.

I'll have to check to see if the peroxide mentioned in the self help books is the easy to use kind.

we always keep some around for cleaning wounds.

the other stuff is supposed to be industrial strength good for a lot of things but the warnings were so scary I'm afraid to do anything more than dump some in the washing machine.

thanks for contributing to the conversation,muggleborn.  You've reminded me I'm out of baking soda...that should never happen!!!!
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am

The regular over the counter peroxide is very effective for removing blood. I've used it in the past and it's amazing.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Always. Guess I'm lucky I've never had to deal with much of it and I found Dawn detergent effective too.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 am

Yeah, not fun memories... except that the peroxide did work!
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

I remember a flare of hydrogen peroxide health craze, I have a co-worker who still uses it, and also does epsom salt cleanses *shudders* ugh. Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Now to hear that hydrogen peroxide = oxyclean, to a certain extent, cool. Spend a lot on that stain remover, and if it's mostly the other - that is so much cheaper!
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Brilliant thread ladies, love all the vinegar tips. New the peroxide removes blood one from my Granny. Anyone know of a way to keep bugs away from you when outside? We have citronella candles but they don't seem to work for me and if I get to close the fumes give me a headache.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:39 pm

I haven't tried it myself,but I've read that rubbing fresh orange or lemon peel is a deterrent to mosquitos.
I think it works the same as using citronella candles...bugs don't like the scent.

also you can pin fabric softener sheets to your clothing when outside.

there's also a spray you can make for your skin that doesn't sound too bad:

1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water
Mix up and spray or wipe on exposed skin.

Add some orange peel and you'll smell like a creamsicle!
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the ideas will have to them. Read that spraying lime or lemon juice around doors and windows would keep spiders away hadn't thought of trying citrus to repel the mosquitos and such.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Laughing Creamsicle! Love it! Will have to try that bug repellant, since there are many mousquitos here. Like the deterrant is a healthier version of all the chemicals they have on the market! Thanks Ladies!
Karentia

Back to top Go down

energy saver

Post  Greatheart on Sun May 04, 2014 8:24 am

Not exactly a 'cleaning' tip, but, with electric bills only going up...

This works - throw a -dry- cotton terry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes. They'll dry faster, saving energy.

No, it's not crazy. The dry towel absorbs moisture from the wet stuff, spreading the water out and giving more surface area for it to evaporate from.

I was skeptical 'til I tried it. Now I keep one towel in the dryer at all times.

Think about it, if you do 100 loads a year and save just 5 minutes a load, that's over 8 hours less running a high-energy appliance.
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am

Yep that works Mom read it in one of her magazines and tried it. She usually forgets about it but we tend to dry very little in the drier during the warm months as she utilizes the clothes line for most of it, especially the heavy stuff like jeans and towels.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum