Hog's Head

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hog's Head

Post  Hecate3fold on Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 am

Good evening all,

Wow, what a shocking pink on this last cottage! I love the one you posted before this one, so quaint, and then I read about it being in France. I'm sure if it were on British soil it would have dark brown or black trimming. Can you imagine that cottage with that bright pink painted between the blue slats. Speaking of those, I think that style is called English Tudor, and is stucco with those boards nailed up to form the squares on the sides. Now the only reason I can think of for those slats to be there is to hold the stucco in place. Does anyone know of another reason for them to be there, other than just plain decorative??

So glad to know that you are feeling better Magical Music Dreamer. Don't let the 'state of the union' get you upset, things will calm down, but not until some major changes take place first.

The same for you Samtibbs, glad you are over your yucky cold and you can breathe again.

I ran across something today while reading something. It is a fruit that I have heard of before but never knew what it looked like, so I have some pictures of it and I want to see if any of you know what it is....................

The first one is of it growing in a tree before it is picked........................

This is what it looks like when fully ripe, slit open and reading for picking. It has to ripen on the tree, if it is picked before it is fully ripe, the toxins that are still in the ripening fruit WILL make you sick and could possibly kill you.

How it looks in the different stages of ripening, and fully ripened on the tree...............

This is someone holding the fully ripened fruit along with one of the seeds........................

And finally the fully ripened fruit ready to be cooked and used. It has been banned in the US for years to be sold as a fresh fruit and only just recently can be sold canned...............................

It is the national fruit of a country and served in it's national dish with salt fish......................Any guesses???

Winky has made us some apple strudel, lemon bars and snickerdoodles............................

And finally here is my picture of the day.....................

Blessings for a joyful day filled with fantasy and daydreams! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am

"Home Sweet Home", Vermont. An exquisite painting by Fred Swan/markovart

Good morning. Dobby, I'd love some of the apple strudel Hecate and Winky baked up, along with a couple of soft boiled eggs, and a tall coffee, please.

MMD, Samtibbs, Karentia, and Maxe... glad you're feeling better and/or know what to do to make it happen. Keep up the good work!

Here's to a healthy, healing, bright, cheerful, dementor-free day for all...

Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

No, Hecate, I have no idea what it is.  What is that fruit?  

I had dinner with Morgan, around the corner at the Mexican place.  I had beef nachos, she had carne asada, her favorite.  She loves living on the island, just frustrated with the ferry, she was one car away from getting on this morning!  Had to wait from 9:30 to 1:45, no food, just the porta potty, and water.  If she left the line, she would have possibly missed the next one!  I'm going over next Tuesday, to see her place & the rest of the family.  Miss the kids!

Wow, so out of shape.  I was out of breath walking back, because it is up a wee little Hill.  Man, I have to get this turned around.  Hugs to all.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 am

Good evening all,

I had to look twice when I read that this last cottage was a painting, it wasn't until I enlarged it and saw that the cat looked like it was drawn. I would have said it was a photo, the detail is remarkable, and the colors in the flowers are so subdued and real looking too. Thanks for finding it for us Always.

I thought if anyone of you here would know what that fruit was it would be you Always, don't know why, just a hunch. Now I'm not trying to stress anyone out....Kerentia, because you said that you didn't know, but please be patient, I will disclose the name after more of you have had a chance to look at it......It was very quiet here today for some reason. Another clue is.... The first time that I ever heard of it was in a song from the movie Dr. No....James Bond. The song was Under the Mango Tree, so I've known of it for a long time but it wasn't until just the other day when I was reading recipes that I found it in one and realized that I didn't know what it actually looked like. Now I do, but I still have no idea what it tastes like.

Have a few more pictures of clouds that I thought were exceptionally pretty........................

The first one is a rare phenomenon called a fallstreak.................

Blessings for a day will many new things to see even if they are up in the clouds! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer on Fri May 19, 2017 3:29 am

I know Hecate. I saw it on a travel show. I will let you tell.
My medicine has a side effect of some sore
muscles. Glad today was the last day.
Love the cakes, flowers, cottages.
Hope you all have a good weekend.
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am

Orange Cottage a Go-Go, Bozeman, Montana. Photo by HomeAway.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have an egg with sliced avocado, and a tall coffee, please.

Hecate... No clue about that fruit, though I'd guess it's tropical. MMD would be the resident expert there!

Here's to a healthy, healing, energizing day for all...

Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 am

Good evening all,

This has to be a fast fly through, I'm so tired again. Another picturesque cottage. Love the antique bicycle out front! Wonder if it's still being used or is just for decoration?? Will never know.

Guess everyone has been busy so I won't delay the answer any longer. It's ackee! It's the national fruit of Jamaica, originally brought over from Africa when the islands were first being settled

Blessings for the beginning of a fantastic weekend!! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 am

Green Cottage, The Seasons B&B, Placerville CA. Photo by Trip Advisor.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a waffle topped with blueberries and cream, a side of bacon, and a mug of coffee, please.

Hecate... never even heard of ackee before! As to the bicycle... it's likely in use. The orange cabin is a holiday rental, so it might be part of the overall package.

Heading into a few days of hot weather here... tongue ... I will likely be hibernating as much as possible though I do have to do a few things in the outer world today.

Here's to a healthy, healing, gentle day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 on Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 am

Morning all

Hecate I've heard of it but never used it or eaten it,, interesting bit of food trivia, thanks according to her Facebook posts Bekkah is dating another young man looks like a nice guy, hope it all goes well for her! Thanks for all the great Picts they are great, hugs dear!

Always stay cool, I know you are like me and don't care for the heat, thanks for the wonderfulottages love them all hugs dear!

MMD hope you continue on the mend, hugs dear!

Karentia yep we are all getting older no fun for sure, hugs dear!

Missy thinking about you!

Maxie hope you are well, is everything growing?

Have a wonderful day all!

Dobby an egg, some fresh fruit and a couple of pieces of toast please, Alberforth a mug of your house blend please, thank you both!

Fire for a bit, then who knows hugs to one and all!
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Fly by hello.

Love the bubbles the fairy is playing with.

Never heard of ackee before. Hope someday it's a trivia answer.

Heavy rains have some things thriving. My geraniums started from seed
last month in their little pots are in the ground but

Working a lot this next week. Two people on vacation. Yay for pay but I wanted to
work on the house. Check in later.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer on Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Ackee was banned in the United States because part of the the fruit can make one very sick. The Jamaicans know how to handle it.
It is so hot here today! It is 95 now, maybe going to 97.
Hope you all are having a good weekend.
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 am

Red Cottage. (location unknown) Photo via Caelumetterra.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a soft boiled egg with sliced avocado, and a tall coffee, please.

Well, the predicted temp has been lowered a few degrees which is fine by me. Still too high for my preferences but not quite as bad.

Went to the local pow-wow yesterday. I was wearing a Doctor Who shirt and as soon as I walked through the entrance two teenage girls (the greeters for the event) started talking to me about Doctor Who in dual rapid fire like we were old pals. Definite Whovians! Fun even though after a bit I did have to break away from them - their supervisor had come over twice... not with a problem but I sensed he kinda wanted the girls to get back to what they were there for! - Plus I wanted to see the vendors and at least part of the dancing.

Here's to a healthy, healing, rejuvenating, joyful day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shrivelfig on Sun May 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Been bust holding down the fort while everyone hasn't been feeling well. My sister just told me the dermatologist said it could take her months to heal. Not looking forward to that.

My mom has been out of some of her meds that really make her feel better so we picked those up for her on Thursday after we saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It was nice that my sister felt well enough to go and it was one of the theaters that have the special big, comfy lounge chairs that recline.

It rain yesterday, today and for the next few days. It just makes everybody sleepy and sometimes gives us slight headaches.

Hectate,  Zumba is a fitness program developed from different dance styles from all over the world.

Maxecat, I cant' believe you got an asthma attack! I'm glad you found an easier level. I don't know if anyone does aquatic Zumba here or not. I have done some aquatic yoga with my mom before.

Loving all the flower photos posted. My sister got me roses and I got her a little gift but it hasn't arrived yet. It could be in the front office. They are very bad about telling you when you have packages.

Here's the roses my sister got for me.
shrivelfig

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 am

Pretty roses, Shrivlefig!  Sweet that your sister got them for you!  I loved Guardians 2!  Did you like it?

I've tried posting two or three times, keep getting interrupted.  

Just work going on, and warmer weather.  My feet are so swollen  Crying or Very sad going to try and prop up overnight.  I made three batches of jam tonight, after work.  Phew!  Tired.

Sleep well, dear heart!
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Mon May 22, 2017 4:45 am

Good evening all,

Sorry i didn't make it here last night dozed off and when I woke it was too late/early to do it.

Love this last cottage Always, the fence in front is so unique.....something almost 'witchy' about it. Good to know that you are such a 'Whovian' hit.  Speaking of Who, I did watch it on Sat. and I'm not liking where it's going.....would like it much better if each episode had a beginning and an end.  The same thing with Good Witch, too much dragging on from one to the next. it's really starting to loose my interest.

Everyone's been talking about rain so yesterday I found some pictures to help those who are craving it......................

Maybe some cake to eat while watching the rain through the windows??.............................

Have to get some sleep, was on the phone with Lois for three hours tonight.  At least we got caught up on everything again.  She did say that the kitties were happy to have Rebekah home again.  I told her that I wished there was a way to communicate with them that she won't be going away any more and that she was home for good now.......They've waited so long for her to come back.

Blessings for the beginning of week of new and creative adventures!  Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 am

Cottage in Tampere, Finland. Photo by NearTheLighthouse.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have blueberry pancakes topped with vanilla ice cream, and an ice blended vanilla latte to go with them, please.

Thankfully tomorrow will cool down, but gotta get through today first hence the wintery cottage!

Shrivelfig... very lovely roses. Nice day brightener!

Hecate... Yes, the soap opera trend for both Who and Good Witch isn't my favorite style for either. I don't mind an "arc" which develops over time, but I'd like a beginning, middle and ending for the basic episode format... Still... both have excellent production values and I enjoy them more than other shows so I'll be hanging around. With DW I'm really hoping Chris Chibnall (the new show runner next season) will bring a breath of fresh air to the show. I've always supported Steven Moffat's brilliant writing skills, but despite technical excellence this season just seems to be noticeably repetitive and tends to border on preachy in the storylines. A shame really since Peter Capalidi is so amazing as the Doctor. I'm still hoping the end of the series leading to the regeneration will atone for the beginning! As to the show itself, there's no end of story ideas out there... honestly they could cut a deal with Big Finish (the company that produces the DW audio adventures) to adapt some of their stories for the tv show. That'd last them a long, long while and there's some really good tales there (some stinkers, too, but those wouldn't need to be made!). They've already done that twice (in the David Tennant era) and it worked beautifully. Ah well... there's always the dvds...

Here's to a healthy, healing, comfortable day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Mon May 22, 2017 9:13 am

Weesa
Admin
Admin

http://weesa-asiseeit.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am

Good Monday.
Watching The Girl In The Fireplace right now. That's one of Moffat's wasn't it?
I liked his stuff until he took over the show. I hardly rewatch any of the Matt Smith series.
Actually, I've never really enjoyed science fiction genres, but I do like interesting characters. Think many sci-fi writers have used their work to tell cautionary tales. Star Trek could be quite political. I will miss Capaldi. I'm sorry so many younger viewers seem against him.

Please, no more rain...we were stuck in the store an extra 20 minutes Saturday. Terrible storms...parking lot flooded ankle deep.
Flowers loved it...so did the weeds.
Looks a treat of a May day. Sunny, cool and low humidity.

Karentia, I relate. I had to buy a new pair of shoes when working Saturday. My feet were so swollen the shoes,usually as comfortable as slippers, were pushing on a pressure point. Ouch. $8 later and I was scuffing around in a pair that won't last but were life savers.

What a pretty forest of blue bells. I saw our blackberry bushes are in bloom.

I've certainly seen a lot of enthusiasm for Guardians part 2. My son loved it and many here are fans. Might have to hit the local cinema.
Do you know the last movie I saw in a theater was DH2?

Shrivelfig, I have exercised induced asthma and am much older than the instructor. What was a cardio warm up for her and most of the class was a mid to high point of a work out for me. I learned to moderate all the moves and had a great time with the class. I miss those ladies. The current teachers are only available at night.

Oh! Yesterday my brother called from Paris. He's rented an apartment there for a week. He's within walking distance of the Louvre, the Muse D'orsay and Notre Dame.
The neighborhood is filled little shops and clubs. He stuck his cell out the window so I could hear Paris.
Close as I'll ever get.

He's seeing Versailles today. I could,too. Versailles, Kentucky. 'cept it's pronounced Ver sales....quel horror!

Working every day this week...all over the place, so ,better get to it.

Beautiful cakes. Sigh.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Tue May 23, 2017 3:17 am

Good evening to all,

What beautiful contrast between the lime green and lavender in the picture you posted Weesa. Love those colors together.

That was a great idea your brother had Maxecat, to rent an apartment close to everything he wanted to see in Paris.  Was it through AirB&B?  When I was on the phone with Lois she told me she is booked through July, into Aug and has one booking for Sept already.  The business is really going great for her.  That was nice of your brother to let you listen to the sounds of Paris, he must be a real character to know.

Swollen feet, not my favorite subject, to say nothing of the legs and thighs too. Maybe this will help, Dobby said it was an old family recipe and he gave it to Mdm. Pomfrey to use....................................

Very interesting where those two small windows that are turned on a diagonal are placed in that red cottage Always, they almost seem to be at floor level between the two floors of the building......if they are windows to begin with??  Hope it's not as warm today and you are able to stay cool, and you too Magical Music Dreamer, hope you are OK in the heat  where you are.  Maybe these pictures will help to cool you off..........................

And Winky has done up some cool cakes too......................................

Plus something for the chocolate lovers too....................

Enjoy!

Blessings for a spectacular carefree day for everyone!  Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

Alpine cottage. Photo by Snow Holidays.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a slice of the lovely cakes... make mine an ice cream cake... with a soft boiled egg, and a tall iced coffee, please.

Supposed to be about 12 degrees cooler today, which will be very welcome. Willow and I both slept on the rollaway in the living room last night to take advantage of my little a/c unit. Really glad I got that, even if only used one night.

Maxe... I don't mind when an issue is woven into the thread of a "cautionary tale" (good phraseology). What annoys me is when the writer/director/whatever decides the audience is so amazingly stupid that they have to spotlight it, hit everyone over the head with a 2x4, and be so preachily blatant about it that it's beyond annoying, rather than weaving it into the story. Yes, Star Trek did it... and the worst (imo) episodes it did were those that were over the top political/social "statements" (like "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"). How to do it right (again, imo): for example, the character of Capt. Jack Harkness in DW's "The Empty Child". No big spotlight on his sexual orientation (unlike all the fanfare about the new companion Bill). He just is who he is without making a big deal about it. How to do it right: "The Caves of Androzani" which hit greed, both corporate and personal, quite hard (unlike "Oxygen" with a similar theme, which was good to start, but which apparently thought the audience was too stupid to get it without ideological diatribes.) It's something that seems to happen when shows run a long while... even shows like "M*A*S*H" and "The Golden Girls" went down that path with their later episodes. Falling ratings went hand in hand as the soapboxing increased, so I don't think I'm alone in this. Sorry... off of my soapbox now, too! Obviously, this is a hot button with me. "1984", "Atlas Shrugged", "Animal Farm", "Brave New World", "Dune" were big books for me... those authors knew how to do it. It just frustrates me when a show like "Doctor Who" with the brilliant writing talents it has, doesn't follow through in making something really dynamic. Okay... standing down....

Here's to a healthy, healing, kindness-filled day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 am

Wow!  What a rush!  Always, if you have a chance to make a link for me, of my videos on Facebook? I have no clue how to do it - tried the icon, it just stares at me.  But what an amazing ride!  The wind has been up all day, started from the south this morning, nothing major taking the ferry over to Lopez Island to visit Morgan.  Nice house, she gets the upstairs room (one open room, that's it), and it is so peaceful out there!  Hammock between some apple trees, on the same road as the school, just gorgeous in green, everywhere.  Had a great lunch, at the Galley restaurant, where her roommate, Melisa, is the morning cook.  Drove all over the island, and took a peek at the separate island that she will be working on!  She got the security job!  Just found out today!  Woohoo!  Anyway, there is a causeway and beach on both sides, no tide will go over it.  

Later they started making dinner, Max came home, brought his sister Mallory over too - who was wearing some cheap perfume.  Slowly built a baby migraine, and realized I could catch the next ferry.  Made my goodbyes, took some Excedrin, and drove to the terminal.  Yay!  Made it!  Didn't have to wait long.  Took a short video for Morgan, show her it wasn't anything major.  Then back to the car.  But then we cleared the islands, and the wind was coming from the Southwest - quartering from our starboard stern.  I watched for a few minutes in my rear view mirror, and decided I had to take a video - now or never!  Took 2 videos - 11 seconds, and 25 seconds.  Wow!  Extremely invigorating!   Wind coming off the waves at me, swells coming at us, the angle we had to go, the bow was taking spray and a few waves, we were getting a bit of wash from some swells hitting the starboard side, my feet got a little wet going back to the car when we were getting close to Anacortes.  I'm still vibrating a little, over an hour later!  Now I know how people who love roller coasters really feel at the end!  I hate those things, but this - Mother Nature's finest ride!  Woohoo!!!!!!

Yeah, really want Hecate to be able to see it - but my phone won't email pictures, let alone a video.

Awesome day!
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 am

Good evening to all,

Just the way you described it was enough to put me right there with you Karentia. What an exhilaration!

Beautiful quaint cottage Always. Takes me back in time for some reason.

I made myself laugh while looking for pictures to post for today. I used key words like 'sea spray' and 'ocean mist' and when I got to the last one all I got was pictures of..........well you'll see.................................

Blessings for a happy joyous Hump Day! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Wed May 24, 2017 8:32 am

Mountain cottage, Colorado. Photo/built by TKP Architects.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a hamburger with avocado, and a tall iced vanilla latte, please.

This is the url to Karentia's videos... Not sure if Hecate will be able to view them, though, since they're facebook urlsl and I'm not sure if you've got to be a facebook member to open them. But give it a go!

https://www.facebook.com/karen.l.king.18/videos/10210863293872875/

https://www.facebook.com/karen.l.king.18/videos/10210863366794698/

Here's to a healthy, healing, renewing day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am

Sounds like Morgan is on another adventure. What an interesting area.

Always, I agree. Letting a message creep into the brain is more effective than being hit with it. Do you suppose the series' writers have felt the fan base is younger and perhaps less aware of the complexities of some social issues?

I used to read all of author Rita Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie mysteries. What wasn't to love ...charming cats and a brave Corgi helping their human solve murders.
A few years ago, her political/social rants ruined the enjoyment of the stories.

Some of the best in film and literature deal with social issues but allow us to witness it for ourselves...not point neon arrows to show us what to look for.

My husband says I carry a metaphorical soapbox....so, I like your passion.

Our warm, sunny April has morphed into a dreary May. Had to turn On the heat last night to take the chill and damp out. Mad . The happiest plant in the garden is the new tree rose. I think, it thinks, it's in England.

Waves a big hello to everyone. Hope this is a healthy,happy, day for all.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Wed May 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you Always, I appreciate the help!  I hope she can view it.  It was an amazing ride!  I'm told the gusts we're up to 65 mph!  Wow.

Now back to mundane things, like shots, laundry, naps (that didn't happen yesterday), and such.  

Maxie, it's ok for the tree rose to think it's in England, but I hope you have a warmer summer.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum