Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Maxecat on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Tamsin Yeobright,you live in Scotland,right? My husband's ears pricked up when I told him about the latest member of the group. We had always planned on visiting Scotland and something always came up (usually that was Hawaii and we couldn't turn it down).He would like to know if you live in the Highlands or Lowlands.. He used to be a great golfer and dreams of playing the courses there.
He's rapidly becoming an AR fan. Poor dear could help it..if he lives with me and there's an AR film on any channel I find it.He's even noticed when younger actors sound a bit like him.He doesn't bat an eye anymore when he sees me cutting out photos of AR for craft purposes.I picked a good one.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks for all of the Alan Rickman information.

Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Well,,,,,, that's quite a lovely shot of the man himself. What a dashing scarf! Fish?
I love it! He does wear black,grey,graphite quite well doesn't he?
thanks,Magical Music Dreamer. We ought to have a mini contest trying to come up with an appropriate caption.

Last edited by Maxecat on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Seminar pic by Sara Krulwich

MMD... Nice scarf pic! That fish scarf was surely a long-time Alan favorite, though I haven't seen it in recent pictures. Maybe it has been retired to the scarf hall of fame.

Tamsin... You're very welcome! I do hope whoever ends up with Alan's artwork from the charity auction posts it online somewhere.

The LA Times has a nicely done, fairly lengthy writeup on Song of Lunch today. Excerpt:
Christopher Reid is the poet whose 2009 book is the source of all the words spoken here, in order, nearly all of them by the wonderful Alan Rickman, and nearly all the rest of them by the equally wonderful Emma Thompson, two actors whose many other accomplishments may be obscured in far posterity by their having appeared in "Harry Potter" movies. Of course, this can be said of nearly every major actor in the U.K. today. There is nothing to be done about it.
TV Guide also comments on SoL:
Like a master class in minimalist acting by two of Britain's best (who happen to be veterans of the Harry Potter franchise's character-acting academy), PBS's Masterpiece Contemporary offers a bittersweet repast in The Song of Lunch (check local listings). This intimate and endlessly droll two-character teleplay, starring the withering Alan Rickman and the delectable Emma Thompson, is adapted from a narrative poem by Christopher Reid, and we spend much of the hour drunk on words inside the head of Rickman's unnamed character, an embittered editor and failed poet who obsessively self-analyzes every detail of this awkward lunch date with a long-ago ex-lover (Thompson) who has been happily married for years and now lives in Paris. With occasional cutaways to erotic memories from the past, the camera mostly focuses on close-ups of these two remarkable actors, as the besotted Rickman slips further into an alcoholic haze while Thompson struggles to keep things civil, though she can't help observing he's "out to lunch at your own lunch." It's an awfully tasty aperitif.
Entertainment Weekly offers a first look at Seminar, including several nice photos.
Alan Rickman may have hung up his wand as Hogwarts potions professor Severus Snape, but he’s yet to relinquish his fictional teaching degree. For his first major post-Harry Potter outing, the 65-year-old British actor is returning to Broadway as an ornery writing great who hosts a private workshop for fledgling novelists in Theresa Rebeck’s new comedy Seminar. His character, Leonard, is ruthless, brilliant, unorthodox, and prone to giving writing advice like, “I don’t have to go past the first five words because I already know enough and I don’t give a s—.” Leonard is also, if you haven’t already guessed, just as insecure as his young students, who are played by Lily Rabe, Jerry O’Connell, Hettienne Park, and Hamish Linklater.
The Lansing State Journal calls SoL
WEEKEND'S MUST-SEE II: "Masterpiece Contemporary," 9 p.m. Sunday, PBS.
Here's an odd delight, one of the strangest "Masterpiece" hours ever. It started as a piece by British poet Christopher Reid, then was adapted into a screenplay by director Niall McCormick. The result has lots of narration, with occasional (and splendid) dialog.
A publisher (Alan Rickman) is cold and distant; his former lover (Emma Thompson) is sharp and vibrant. They have lunch; the result is fresh, funny and ... strange.
South Coast Today adds:
Old lovers (Emma Thompson, "Sense and Sensibility," and Alan Rickman, "Harry Potter" films) meet for a meal 15 years after their breakup in the "The Song of Lunch" on "Masterpiece Contemporary" (9 p.m. Sunday on WGBH). Will the menu consist of reconciliation or resentment? With this cast, who cares? This drama is adapted from a poem by Christopher Reid.
The Times Record News offers this DH2 comment:
Then there are those truly harrowing moments, like when it looks like Harry is done for and has lost the battle. It's those emotional asides that really carry the film (and finally, after eight films, we finally find out the motivations of Severus Snape, played wonderfully by Alan Rickman).
The Latino Review comments on DH2 including:
The most significant of the story's supporting players is no doubt Alan Rickman's Severus Snape, whose real intentions are finally determined in a revelatory flashback sequence that showcases more of the character and actor in five minutes than over the last seven films. Snape has always been my favorite character with perhaps the most tragic story of the series and Rickman is finally able to flesh out Harry's would be rival after being held back for almost a decade. If the truth about Snape's true colors comes as a surprise to you, then you were not paying attention to the various clues throughout the films.
I Am Rogue adds:
Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson seem unlikely to end up with awards season gold, but here's a guy who the entire campaign should be centered around: Alan Rickman. After deliciously delivering as Severus Snape in seven films, Rickman finally got his chance to really shine in Deathly Hallows: Part 2. And it was good.

Last edited by Always on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Still more added info)
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Maxecat, I'd love to see photos of the end result of some of the crafting work you've done with your cut-out Alan photos. How great! Also great, that you picked a 'good-un' in your other half. I'm glad he's becoming a fan of Mr Rickman too.

As to your golf location question, I suppose I do live in the heart of golf country, being roughly in the mid point between St. Andrews and Carnoustie. Smile My Stepdad is retired now, and helps run a golf club locally, so gets invited to be a crowd marshall at the Open Championships, which he enjoys. I will pass any golfing questions on to him! I think St Andrews is pretty expensive to play, but as a non-golfer, it is a beautiful course to walk alongside of, and enjoy the views, and the beach. I enjoy visiting the ancient abbey and the old castle, and a good rummage in all the curiosity shops!

Ooh, I am looking forward to seeing The Song of Lunch in full, Always. Sadly, I missed the screening over here, and have not found it in full on YouTube. I think it will be available on DVD in the US before the UK - I noticed a note about it in the BBC America shop a couple of months back, when Alan won the BBC Anglophenia Blog's top man spot. I wonder if I can find a live stream, but I guess not. I will just need to sit tight and be patient!
Tamsin Yeobright

http://www.aludditeonline.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 pm

If I mention where you live to my husband,Tamsin Yeobright,he will come undone....

As for my AR crafts,let me wait to see how this effort comes out..and after Christmas since it's a gift..shhhh,don't breathe a word....
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Multitasking tonight... GoF is on the tv (with volume low) while I'm watching the livestream of the celebration at the wizarding world to promote the DH2 release...

Tamsin... According to the PBS store, the dvd of Song of Lunch will be available for preorder on their website on Nov. 16.

Back to the live stream... Catch you later... *later* Okay, back to GoF now while I cruise for news...

Actor Sam Neill's "Two Paddocks" website has an ongoing "guest dj" spot... asking his friends to list their top ten favorite songs. Here's Sam's writeup:
Alan Rickman
Special Guest DJ Thespian LEGEND, Alan RICKMAN Star of Bottleshock (Just to show this is in some small way connected to wine.)

Ladies aanndd Gentlemen! Tonight only, direct from Broadway, the utterly unique and completely brilliant Alan Rickman, right here in the Dayglo Disco spinning his discs just for you. And you. And you two in the corner. Yes it's Alan Rickman ... NOW I have your attention. Yes, it's the man who brought you Snape in Harry Potter (if you're under 20), Valmont in the RSC's Dangerous Liaisons (if you are grown up), the bad guy in Die Hard, he IS Colonel Brandon, Truly Madly ... oh alright you’ve got the picture ... and masses of other luminous performances on stage and screen. He is, like his namesake Chicken Rickman, sexy, charismatic and very scary. And here he is ... RESPECT ... sashaying up to the turntables with a stack o’ wax under his immaculately cut armpit -- give it up, if you please, for one of the greatest actors of his and any other generation -- the simply great, the inimitable the fantastic ...Alan RICKMAN!!

--- (the list from Alan)

These are songs to have grown up with:
I Won’t Dance - Fred Astaire
My hero. Completely disciplined, completely free.

I’m Easy - Keith Carradine
From Robert Altman’s great film, Nashville. The scene has an acting lesson from Lily Tomlin.

Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts - Bob Dylan
10am. Monday morning. RADA student. Our brilliant teacher, June Kemp, gets us moving.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
Just listen.

Desperado - Langley Schools Music Project
Recorded in a school gym in 1976. The singer is 9 years old.

Dancing in the Street - Martha and The Vandellas
Just dance.

Real Good For Free - Joni Mitchell
She says it all, really. No comment required.

Coney Island - Van Morrison
Nostalgia about everything. Everywhere.

You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling - The Righteous Brothers
Last dance at the party. A red light bulb. The dregs of cheap wine.

Imagination - Little Jimmy Scott
A great jazz singer rediscovered just in time.

---

Thanks to Alan from taking a few minutes from learning his lines and rehearsing Seminar for Broadway. Fascinating list, and illuminating too. Go see it if you can.

Oh, and when we said inimitable, we were exaggerating. In the Proprietor’s experience, AR has one of those voices that actors all over the world absolutely love to imitate. Like Michael Caine and Sean Connery. And Christopher Walken. It’s a compliment.

Anyway, we always love any Rickman performance. What’s your favourite?

He is the Bee’s Knees. Practice your Rickman with that phrase ... mutter through your teeth with eyes half closed and a kind of hypnotic drone “...heeez the beeez neeez." Good.

P.S. If you go to the site, all the songs are linked to youtube videos so you can listen to them.

Last edited by Always on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:28 am

Maxecat - your comment made me chuckle! I don't normally think of living near Dundee as very exciting, although it is a lovely setting for a city, with lovely scenery round about. I tend to stay within quite a limited radius, not being able to drive. Maybe I need to take up golf, to really appreciate my surroundings. It must be a good way of keeping fit and getting outdoors. I am worryingly heavy just now and desperately need to get fitter and healthier. My Stepdad branched out from golf into sea kayaking, and goes out in the choppy waters of the freezing North Sea all year-round. It is amazing exercise, but that would really scare me silly! Mostly, the intrepid band of kayakers traverse the coast of North-east Fife: St Andrews and "Winter Guest" country. It is nice to think that locality has an Alan connection, when I'm paying a visit. I keep thinking of the young actor being shown by Alan how to eat a pie! That clip really showed Alan's attention to detail, as a director. Great stuff. Smile

That's a really interesting well-written blog, Always! I listened to some of Alan's choices. The "Desperado" one is lovely. The story of the Langley School Music Project is intriguing - I am going to listen to some of the other tracks. I think my daughter, being the same age as the singer in this, will be interested too. It might also give me a break from her practising her trumpet. (Owie!)

When do the Oscar nominations come out? I think I read January, but then my memory is not very trustworthy these days. I've read a wide spectrum of views on Alan's chances, and am keeping my eyes peeled for news. I'm pretty hopeful! I know he doesn't view gathering gongs as something particularly necessary or important, being so deeply and honestly devoted to his craft, but we want him to have the richly deserved wee gold chap for his mantle shelf, to go with his (hopefully chocolate) HP World Cup. Smile
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:14 am

Tamsin,I did tell Larry about where you live and his eyes lit up! His brother in law,nephews and their cousins did a trip to St Andrews about 10 years ago.I think it was summer but unseasonably cold and wet. Arthur said at one point the rain and winds were coming at you sideways. I think they liked being able to say they played the Old Course but really had a better time sitting in their hotel lounge enjoying the whiskey.

When we were first married Larry tried teaching me to golf. It was on a Sunday,in summer,in Florida with no tourists..and yet I drew a crowd of grounds keepers on their tractors. They were laughing their butts off. We made a deal...he doesn't force me to golf and I don't insist he go to the symphony or arty plays with me.It's worked for 30 years!

Are there places for you to walk or hike to help kick start your metabolism? Have you check in with our fitness forum for some ideas? Several of us have described our favorite fitness programs.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:35 am

Pic of Severus checking out Dumbledore's cursed hand. From Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey (still working on reading that enormous tome... about half way through the text part now....)

Tamsin... yes, I enjoyed reading Sam Neill's blog, too. He's very funny and writes in a highly entertaining manner! (He's also a terrific actor and I've enjoyed his work for quite a while now.)

Maxe... well, when I win the lottery Wink you and I (okay, and your hubby, too) will have to zip off to visit Tamsin and tour the area. I've always wanted to see Scotland. That, of course, will be after we've all been to a Wizarding World party!

The Star Tribune's Critic's Choice picks SoL for tonight's choice:
Sunday. Watching an estranged couple share a meal doesn't scream great entertainment unless, of course, they are being played by Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. "The Song of Lunch" (8 p.m. KTCA, Ch. 2), the latest installment of "Masterpiece Contemporary," may not rival Wallace Shawn's "My Dinner with Andre," but it's a luscious snack prepared by two of our finest actors.

Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  arcadia on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello everyone!
I am very sorry about loosing our usual place of meeting but i am gratefull that you are still here and we can still be in touch on this forum!
So many news here,so many wonderful pictures,Alan seeing a flat in NY! that scares me! hope he will still return to London...
i also saw the new pictures from Seminar.He's sooo gorgeous! such a wonderful man!
if there would be more man as him,the world would be a better place!

arcadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Arcadia,glad you found us. I don't think you need fear Mr R remaining in the US forever. I think he'll always hear the siren's call from the British stage. He has family there,too. But isn't it nice to know he's so appreciated everywhere now?

Always,you've got a date! I did check my ticket from last night..no winner but no one else won either so it's up to 45 mil. Even more trips!

Because we saw GoF last night I put in a dvd of OoP..and walked Larry through that one..he'll never do well on a pop quiz but he's catching on.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Maxecat, I'm sorry your hubby's relatives had to experience the horizontal rain! It is quite a feature, but not normally in Summer. In the Winter, horizontal icy rain is another matter. What a Face

I will apparate over to the fitness thread to read and post my exercise issues tomorrow. Thanks for the head's-up!

Always - the Wizarding party sounds a must. If you guys are coming to pay me a visit afterwards give me a wee bit o advance notice, as I am a mite untidy, and will need to vacuum round, and have a bit of a clear-out, to have things nicely ship-shape! Very Happy

I'm interested in getting that Page to Screen book, Always, and just watched a YT video of someone supposedly turning each page. It wasn't a long video, so suspect he missed a few, as I didn't see the Snape/Dumbledore's cursed hand pic. Are there many nice Snape vignettes? (Not that I would buy the book based just on that issue! Honestly...well, maybe not, but it might be a contributing factor.) Laughing I am going to order it as a nice Christmas surprise to myself. By the way .... I have a wee paper-cut. Do you think that Severus might come and inspect the damage, as he's doing for for Dumbledore's damaged digits? I do bake good wholemeal scones, if I say so myself. I think Severus might be a scone man... Smile

Hello Arcadia!! It is good to see you. I was hoping you would turn up. You sound busy. Hope all is well with you and P.L.!

Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Always, did you want to post the map of Alanland here? Would sure be nice to import as much as we can.

I still want to go to Quellek's for a pint & a burger with George, and meet up with whomever has the time.

Thank you for the wonderful wealth of information! Cool! cheers
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Another knockout Alan photo by NY Times photog Sara Krulwich.

Arcadia... Glad to see you made it here!

Tamsin... The HP Page to Screen book doesn't have enough Snape for me, but then neither did the films.... but what's there is nice! However, it is truly a wonderful book to go over all the details of all the HP films and the intricate details involved in making them all with gorgeous photos all throughout the book. It is well worth the purchase price (shop around, you don't have to pay full price!) in my humble opinion.

Karentia... There have been so many lovely new Alan pix that I haven't done much yet with other items (one pic per post and all that). Don't worry... all the Alanland pix are all safe and sound! As long as the conversation keeps flowing, I'm very happy to provide eye candy, whether old or new! For now though, here's a link to the Alanland map. I'm sure there's a Thanksgiving party in the works so we don't want any one getting lost on the way...

Hearst Connecticut Media's entertainment writer offers a rave Seminar review . Excerpts:
Alan Rickman's latest Broadway vehicle isn’t a musical but near the end of “Seminar” he gets an “aria” that stops the show. It’s a purely verbal interlude — a famous novelist and journalist spelling out to his students the perils they will face as would-be fiction writers in the 21st century — but Rickman sinks his teeth into this juicy speech and the result is thrilling.
He ends with:
“Seminar” will only get better as it runs — I caught a preview yesterday — but Rickman is already giving a titanic performance and Rabe, Linklater, O’Connell and Park each get their moments to shine.

Forgot to mention that Alan was spotted attending Hugh Jackman's one man show on Broadway yesterday. Hugh J. actually introduced Alan from the stage and had him spotlighted to take a bow! Now there's a duo I'd love to see do a film together.

Last edited by Always on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  arcadia on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

thanx everyone for the welcome!
Indeed Maxecat,it's very nice to know he's well appreciated everywhere...
i would say better that it's strange to know that there are persons who don't know him!
for example...i do have many coleagues at the acting school that don't know him!and they do study acting but,whell...they are so uninformed....it's sad...
Tamsin,indeed,i have many classes all day and in the evening i must study,read,write for my final exam paper.
thanks God P.L. is always with me, as Alan is in my thoughts!
and i still don't lose hope to see Seminar on the West End and i am looking foward to see Gambit!!
Yeaah Always,thanks to you i did get in here!Thank you again!

arcadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:24 pm

One more great Alan pic by Sara Krulwich.

Playbill has a new gallery of Seminar pix, including a good number with Alan.

And speaking of Seminar pix, talented fan fotog Jastrow has an entire gallery of great stage door photos.

SnitchSeeker has an interview with David Yates on DH2, including:
SnitchSeeker: In the beginning of the Maximum Movie Mode you mentioned that the script was changed, that the beginning wasn’t supposed to start with Snape. What was it supposed to start with, and why the change?
Yates: I wanted to put Snape right in the forefront of the movie ‘cause it felt to me that the original script … actually I’m not quite sure how the original started. We saw Hogwarts. We flew in. It was surrounded by Dementors. We crashed into the title. But Snape didn’t feature. He’s such an iconic part of that last story; the notion of him being the first thing you saw felt very important to me because Alan [Rickman] is not in the movie for very long. It’s really weird and yet so …

SnitchSeeker: Significant.
Yates: Yeah. It’s like, somehow, the revelation of him and who’s side he is on and everything. There’s something Alan does with his face that is so haunting. It’s ‘cause he’s thinking certain thoughts but not showing anything, and the camera picks up that energy. And also I’d opened a couple of the movies with wham-bam. We blew up a bridge in Half-Blood Prince. I wanted to open the movie in a really quiet, hard way. I thought it’d be quite interesting.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:05 am

I think I will get the book, Always! The illustrations look gorgeous, especially like the one on the Lovegood house page. I've found it half-price on Amazon.

It is great to see the Alanland map again. It always makes me chuckle. Very clever and creative indeed!

It was fascinating to read David Yates's comments on deciding to begin the final movie with Snape. It is a truly haunting scene, and is so evocative of the deleted scene from HBP, where Snape is standing with the most beautiful expression of suppressed sadness, his wonderful expressive eyes looking upwards and 'painted with light'. The choir are singing the most exquisite song in the background, a song that really cried out for airtime in the film. Heart-breakingly beautiful, when counterpointing Snape's inner pain. I watched it again on YouTube today, and was struck again by it's beauty. People commenting on the video express the view that it was probably cut, as it gives too much away for people who haven't read the books, about where Shape's loyalties could lie: that it interfered with the fascinating ambiguity of the character, which is such a 'hook' in the plot-line. I can see that interpretation as a valid one in some ways, but I don't believe it would have had that level of impact in terms of the construction of the ambiguity as a whole. It is a stunning piece of cinematographic perfection, and needs to be in an Editor's cut' DVD. I would happily pay for another collection of DVDs which included this wonderful scene. I'll post the link to the YouTube video if that's permissible here, but it can be found with the title "Half-blood Prince Deleted Scene (choir, Snape.)"

Roll on December 2nd, so I can get my copy of DH2! I suppose having seen it 7 times at the cinema has helped a little, in having to wait longer than everyone else to own it! I think I'll pre-order from Amazon.
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 am

Tamsin,I did preorder from amazon back in September and I won't get my copy until this weekend.I've never had such a delay on Potter film or any other preorder..Must be popular Razz

I always enjoy reading directors' comments after filming.It enhances a great film and helps me understand where I got lost in a disappointing one.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks, Maxecat! I think I'll pre-order one from my local supermarket instead now. I'm guessing they know how many they've got coming into the store, and how many pre-orders they can take... but we shall see! Basketball

Last edited by Tamsin Yeobright on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typing error)
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 am

Alan at the Only Make Believe Gala yesterday.

SnitchSeeker reports (and has more photos): Harry Potter actors Daniel Radcliffe and Alan Rickman attended the 12th Annual Make Believe on Broadway Gala on Monday evening at the Shubert Theatre in New York City.

The Wall Street Journal invited actor Ben Shenkman to discuss a preview of Theresa Rebeck's comedy "Seminar". Excerpt:
"Seminar" is indeed an ensemble play, about four young novelists who sign up for writing classes with a literary giant named Leonard. But there is only one star, Alan Rickman, and he sets off an intense, rippling charge through the theater the moment Leonard enters the stage.

How exactly does an actor produce that charge? "Some of it's an old fashioned celebrity thing—he's a star, people like to see a star," Mr. Shenkman said of Mr. Rickman, who, among dozens of screen credits, appeared in all eight "Harry Potter" films and played the villainous Hans in "Die Hard." "But beyond that, he has a particular persona that is theatrical and wicked with language and inflection. People are delighting in anticipation of those things. And then they're completely satisfied."

In fact, Mr. Shenkman said, it's the audience that gets the charge going, and a seasoned professional knows how to maximize it. "It's a ritual that they perform together."

Discovered Song of Lunch is available for preorder now on Amazon (release date in February).

Tamsin... yes, I totally was blown away by the power of that deleted HBP scene. I will be very curious to see if it has been properly inserted into the film when ABC Family airs HBP in December. They're advertising there will be footage not seen in theaters, so I surely hope that's part of it.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Potions Mistress on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 am

Hi guys!

Sorry it's taken me so long to finally register here and find the thread. As I'm sure you're all aware of, I hadn't been to HPANA in a while and was shocked when I heard the news about it being (temporarily, I hope) closed down. I'm glad that this site exists so we can still gather together. I hope none of you are upset with me for not being very active in the Alan community lately. I've been pretty busy with work and some family events and had gotten pretty lazy about checking in the forum. Many thanks to all you wonderful people who have kept Alanland alive! Keep those pics coming...especially the holiday-themed ones! Any Thanksgiving celebrations on the horizon? My housemates decided to decorate the house for Christmas tonight...still a little early for me, but oh well. I helped them anyway so they wouldn't think badly of me.
Potions Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am

Totally cute pic of Alan and Dan from the Only Make Believe gala. Would love to know what brought on the laughter!

Potions... So glad to see you here! Yes, Thanksgiving will surely be celebrated in Alanland (and I'm sure in the muggle world as well). I always look forward to hearing the holiday accounts. Everyone has a unique spin!

Not a lot of new Alan news this morning, but Den of Geek is musing on "10 Possible Doctors for David Yates' Doctor Who Movie", including:
If we could consider any actor who worked with Yates on the Harry Potter films to be a potential Doctor, the most intriguing possibility would surely be Alan Rickman.
More noted for his villainous roles, Rickman put in a solid eight films' worth of work as Professor Severus Snape, with his story coming to catharsis in this summer's Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2. But he also has a certain amount of geek cred for voicing Marvin in the 2005 version of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and playing Nimoy-analog Alexander Knox in Galaxy Quest. We're very much reminded of his role as the Metatron in Dogma, when imagining his spin on the Doctor, world-weary, with sonorous tones and a cool outfit. Rickman deserves a big leading man project like this.
As a Who-fan, gotta say I'd love to see Alan as The Doctor. He would put a unique spin on the role, I'm sure!
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Yay!!! Potions finally found us! I'm so pleased you did.

I didn't know David Yates was doing a Dr. Who movie. Alan's spin would be interesting I'm sure but David Tennant made me a true believer that he's the ultimate Doctor...ducks to avoid rotten tomatoes and negative comments sent my way!

I'd still like to Alan do a light comedy.He has great timing and a wealth of expressions..

I imagine Alan told Dan to check note #394 for the next intro.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm

OOooh ..... I posted on the BBC Anglophenia blog on their "Why do you love Alan so Much?" thread, just after he won "Man of the Year", and closed my comment with a "Dr Who" suggestion for him. Yay! Now I'm feeling a little bit happening instead of the usual late to the party. Very Happy My 9 year-old is desperate to see him as the next tenant of the Tardis. So are her Potter-mad Who-vian friends. He would be a terrifically popular choice.

I loved David Tennant's Dr Who - something wonderfully moving and wistful about him - accompanied, at times, but the eternal lonely traveller. My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee back in the early '70s. He was a dashing grey-haired gent, very dapper and energetic.

I would love to see Alan play this role! I can't imagine anything more awesome-mungous. The Daleks wouldn't stand a chance before his withering stare, and his sense of humour could really get the chance to run free. I wonder if he'd do it, if they'd totally give him a free hand? BBC, if you are looking in, pencil Alan in as your optimum Time Lord!

Last edited by Tamsin Yeobright on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typing error)
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum